Week 22 - Acceptable Words

"Set a watch, O Lord, before my mouth; keep the doors of my lips."

Psalms 141:3

One of my favorite life verses is Psalms 19:14, "Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O Lord, my strength, and my redeemer." 

I desire to have every area of my life acceptable to God, and that includes what I say. What better way to keep my words acceptable to God than to allow Him to control them?!?

I have a very vivid imagination... this is probably because I have been an avid reader since I could string the word C-A-T together. This verse gives a wonderful depiction of God standing guard at the door of my lips. 

If we are all honest, we can admit that we have said things we have regretted.

Sometimes... we feel justified in saying something mean. 
Sometimes... our anger gets the best of us. 
Sometimes... we feel we are better than others and say things in an unloving manner. 
Sometimes... we may be right, but we should not say what we are thinking because it would not be beneficial for those listening. 

It is only with God's help that we will have the wisdom to know what to say and what not to say. Proverbs 29:11 says, "A fool uttereth all his mind: but a wise man keepeth it in till afterwards." A wise man does not say things off the cuff... his words are calculated, godly and uplifting.

This week my prayer is going to be: "Set a watch, O Lord, before my mouth!!!"






Labels: ,