Week 16 - This Little Light of Mine

"Wherefore let him that thinketh he standeth take heed lest he fall. There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it."

I Corinthians 10:12-13

I have always felt very grounded in my faith. It was my desire to spend time with the Lord and to walk with Him. I wanted to let my light shine before men. (Matthew 5:16) I read my Bible on a regular basis, prayed throughout the day, and talked about Him with my friends and co-workers.

Because I felt that I was strong in my faith, I began to put myself in situations that presented more temptations. I told myself that I was trying to reach others for Christ and that I could handle it, but what I was really doing was pushing my faith to its limits. 

You see... We are the light of the world. We are supposed to be the candle brightly burning in the darkness, but when we surround ourselves with darkness, it is very easy to get snuffed out. 

Now I am not saying that we are not supposed to spread the light into dark places, but when you choose to completely surround your self with the filth of this world, you will eventually get dirty. As the saying goes, "You become what you tolerate."

Thankfully the Lord protected me from myself and gave me a means of escape before I made decisions I would regret the rest of my life. That "still, small voice" convicted me of what I had surrounded myself with. The things that I had grown to tolerate became an abomination to me. 

Because I have been there, I can now love people through those difficulties, but as my mind becomes more and more focused on things of the Lord, I have found that I hate the sin that used to be so appealing to me. 

I now know the danger of thinking that I stand. When you are confident in yourself, you are not paying attention to what is around you. That is when the Devil will attack and you will fall. I am so thankful the Lord always provides us a way to counter the Devil's attacks. We do not have to give in... We are able to stand in the Lord. 

"This little light of mine,
I'm going to let it shine!

Don't let Satan "puff" it out,
I'm going to let it shine!

Let it shine, let it shine, 
let it shine!!!"


Labels: ,