Burlap Letters

I found a tutorial from the Virginia House on how to make burlap letters and immediately I began to look for a way in which to use them. Since spring was just around the corner, I decided they would be the perfect start for my "S.P.R.I.N.G." mantel. 

I have had an old window for several years that I just love! Unfortunately I have not found a use for it yet in our rental home. In our previous home, I had it hung on the wall with photographs behind the window panes, but I did not want to put more holes in the wall than I had to, so I refrained from hanging it once we moved to Tennessee.

These burlap letters and the vintage window were the perfect compliment to the bright flowers I used to signify spring. Hope you like it! :)



In typical "Shanda" fashion,  I "tweaked" the original design, so the following instructions are how I created the burlap letters that are shown above. 

All you need to get started are cardboard letters (I bought mine at Hobby Lobby), Mod Podge, burlap, scissors and a marker (or in my case, a charcoal pencil). 


Begin by tracing the outline of the letter onto the burlap.


After cutting out the letter, apply a generous amount of Mod Podge to the front of the letter. Then adhere the cut out letter overtop of the Mod Podge.


I am not a fan of unfinished edges, so I cut strips of burlap to the width of the edge of the letter. I then adhered the strips of burlap in the same fashion that I adhered the cut out letter.


Once this is complete, let the letters dry completely. I liked the way the letters looked, so I opted not to apply the thin layer of paint the the Virginia House suggested.

This is what you end up with! :) I love they way they turned out.




Labels: