Week 11 - Eternity to Reap

"Be not deceived; God is not mocked: for whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap. For he that soweth to his flesh shall of the flesh reap corruption; but he that soweth to the Spirit shall of the Spirit reap life everlasting. And let us not be weary in well doing: for in due season we shall reap, if we faint not."
Galations 6:7-9



It is planting time here in Tennessee, and this year I decided to venture into vegetable gardening. I have always enjoyed planting and maintaining flowers, but now I am going to try planting something that will bring more than just aesthetic nourishment. 

I stopped at our local co-op for some ideas on how best to plant my little garden. I figured I would get more "educated" information there than just shopping at Walmart and hoping my seeds come up. The kind man at the co-op spent about an hour informing me about soil types, nutrients, seeds, and container sizes. There was much more to gardening than I ever realized, and was very thankful for the information I was provided with.

Just as the man from the co-op gave me information on how to cultivate my garden, so the Bible also gives us information on how to "plant" seeds of truth. In my vegetable garden, I planted a variety of seeds, but a bean seed is not going to grow into a tomato plant. 

The same concept is applied to our Christian walk. If we are sowing to the flesh (selfishness, vanity, pride, etc), then we will reap the same. You can not "plant" a selfish attitude and expect to "reap" a helping hand from a neighbor. But contra wise, if we are plating seeds of truth and love, one day that is what we will reap.

Now the hard part is the waiting game. After I have sown my seeds, it is hard to wait for the plants to start producing vegetables. If I am not diligent at weeding out the plants that threaten to choke out my vegetables, then I will not have a productive crop. God knows how difficult it is for us to wait. That is why he encourages us by saying, "And let us not be weary in well doing: for in due season we shall reap, if we faint not."

It may seem difficult at times to tell others about Christ and to show them the love of Christ through our actions, but our time is not long here on this earth. We only have a lifetime to "sow," but we have eternity to "reap" the reward of our labor.

Labels: ,