Week 5 - Throne of Grace

"Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy
and find grace to help in time of need."
Hebrew 4:16

As I have been memorizing these verses the past few weeks, I have been trying to not just memorize the words, but to also understand the meaning of these verses. I believe it is with understanding that we begin to hide God's word in our hearts. The more I dwell on these verses every day, the more the Holy Spirit has revealed meaning in my life. 

The Bible is such a wonderful book because you can read it hundreds of times and get something different out of it every time. I may read these verses and take something completely different from it than you will, but that is because of where we are at in our lives and walks with Christ. Prayer and understanding God's will has been important to me because of what is going on in my life right now. Hopefully I will be able to share more personal stories as this year unfolds, but right now I am prayerfully seeking God.

While trying to better understand this week, I looked at the Matthew Henry Commentary to expound upon the verse, and I love what I found!

God calls His throne a throne of grace. He could have called it the throne of judgement and set up a tribunal of strict justice, and rightly so. But instead He chose to call it a throne of grace whereby we may obtain mercy. It is here that grace reigns and is freely given to to those who come boldly before the throne. "It is our duty to be often found before this throne of grace. It is good for us to be there." When we approach the throne, it should be with a faith that can move mountains; knowing that God can do all things. Yes, we are to come before the throne with reverence and godly fear, but not as if we were being dragged before a court with "guilty" written across our foreheads. This is the throne of grace! "Mercy and grace are the things we want, mercy to pardon all our sins and grace to purify our souls."

Grace to help in time of need. God gives us all that we need as we go through trials in our lives. Isaiah 40:31 says, "But they that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be wear; and they shall walk, and not faint." It seems to me that those who wait upon the Lord spend a lot of time at the throne of grace.

"Be assured beyond all doubting
In the trial you're passing through.
that the Lord's great love and mercy
Is at work for good in you."

Labels: ,